Friday, January 27, 2012

Palitaw

Palitaw is a Filipino term, from the root word “litaw” which means float. Wikipedia defines Palitaw as a small flat sweet rice cake eaten in the Philippines.

During my childhood, whenever my grandmother cooks Ginataang Halo Halo (another Filipino dessert composed of different fruits combined with coconut milk), she sees to it to prepare Palitaw too. Palitaw is made of ground sticky rice.


Palitaw

I’ve been craving for this for long until one of my colleague’s wife – Noemi invited me over her place to eat. She taught me how to do it and the ingredients but since I’m not born a good cook, I still search for the recipe online and see to it to follow the measurement all the time. Nice move for beginner like me.

Ingredients:
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup grated coconut
- ½ cup sesame seed

Procedure:
- combine flour and water
- mold 2tbsp to ball figure, flatten
- boil the flatten mold till floats
- combine sugar and sesame seed
- dip in coconut and serve!

When I uploaded the picture in Facebook, Herbert - one of my American FB friends said that it is also called Mochi
– a Japanese rice cake which is one of Japan’s traditional food for the Japanese New Year.


This is best with Orange Juice!

Credits: Noemi Antonio, panlasangpinoy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment