Sunday, March 18, 2012

Beef Siomai

Wikipedia explains Siomai as a traditional Chinese dumplings served in dimsum. Variety of siomai is available which includes pork, shrimp, and beef. Siomai, like fishballs is one of the best street foods in the Philippines.

One of my friends Brenda knows how to cook very delicious Siomai. I often tell her that I like her siomai very much but could not remember if I have asked her to teach me but could not find time, if she forgot, or if I did not ask her at all.

Back home, I see to it to buy Siomai whenever I got the chance. Whether it is sold in a Siomai stand normally along the road or inside a department store, whether the price is right enough or too much :)

I decided to make my own version of Siomai. I got the chance to explore the net and look for the best recipe online but most of the recipes are using ground pork which we do not have in the nearby supermarket. I got the chance to see a recipe using beef and became interested in trying it. I just applied some changes with the ingredients and the way it was prepared.
First attempt!

Ingredients:

Filling
- 400 grams ground beef
- 1 medium sized carrot, chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sesame oil

Sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Garlic, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder

You will need:


- steamer



- wonton wrapper (click here if you want to prepare your own)

Procedure:

Siomai
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a mixing bowl
- Get a wonton wrapper and place a tablespoon of the mixture to it

- Wrap by starting at the opposite sides diagonally and then the other two sides until the tips of the four corners stick together
- Brush steamer with cooking oil and place the wrapped siomai in it

- Steam for 20 minutes

Sauce
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan on medium heat
- Put in chopped garlic and sauté for about 10 seconds (make sure the garlic won’t turn light brown)
- Add in the soy sauce and chili powder; stay on heat for 2-3minutes
- Remove from heat and set aside

Makes 30pcs of Siomai!

Credits: Brenda Pagtalunan, Google Images for You will need - Steamer photo

No comments:

Post a Comment